December 1, 2010
10 Things You Need To See To Understand What I'm Talking About
This list is inspired by the current gaping age void in the office I work in: almost a couple of decades. Some jokes and quotes transcend the age gap e.g. anything to do with Star Wars and poking fun at Apple, however many fall into the black abyss of time and result in the phrase "What to you mean you haven't seen [insert film/TV show here]." Which got me thinking, what would be the ten things that someone would need to watch to understand what on earth I was talking about. And here they are:
- Star Wars. All of them. Including the Zahn books (but you can stop there). And yes I mean the prequels too. If you don't understand Jar Jar's pivotal moment in the full arc of the six films then you need to try harder. Commander, tear this ship apart until you find those plans! And bring me all passengers, I want them ALIVE!
- Back To The Future. Has it really been 25 years? Still brilliant. The scene with Marty in a radiation, playing Van Halen on a Walkman, saying he was Darth Vader from the planet Vulcan is a distillation of 80's cool into thirty seconds. Silence Earthling! My name is Darth Vader. I am an extraterrestrial from the planet Vulcan!
- Spinal Tap. Endless quotes. Slightly bittersweet at the end. Going up to 11 has transcended the cult audience into the mainstream. None more black.
- Bad News. Like Spinal Tap, but much sillier. ...Heavy Metal, satisfied?
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Many people prefer The Life Of Brian, but I saw this first and watched it a bout a million times on VHS with my brother. I tend to misquote it slightly, but you'll get the gist if you've seen this. ...I got better.
- WarGames. After watching this I wanted to get a modem and try and hack Presetel on my BBC micro. Which bizarrely someone did. Still great. Hey, I don't believe that any system is totally secure.
- The Matrix. I'm glad there was only one Matrix film, a sequel could never have been as good as the original. Woah.
- Van Halen : Live Without A Net. Made me want to play guitar more than anything else. Van Halen is having so much fun playing guitar. Spent the next twenty years trying to get a fraction close to EVH. Edward! You're cheating again!
- The Day Today. Genius comedy. Not only funny but unfortunately prescient. Chris Morris, Steve Coogan, Armando Iannucci. THIS IS THE NEWS!
- Highlander. There was only one Highlander film ever made, and it is highly entertaining. Some wanted a TV series too, but I think it would have diluted the mythos. Connor McCloud from the clan McCloud.