November 5, 2008
Apocalypse Watch Further Update
At the start of the year I said I was going to read a selection of apocalyptic books this year. It's turned out to be a highly enjoyable task, with a good mix of horrible despair and joyous hope. Here's an update on how I'm doing:
- Alas, Bablyon - Pat Frank
- The Road - Cormac McCarthy
- Earth Abides - George R Stewart
- On The Beach - Neville Shute
- Dr. Bloodmoney - Philip K Dick
- The Postman - David Brin
- The Death Of Grass - John Christopher
- The Drowned World - JG Ballard
Still to read
I've decided to extend the reading past the end of this year, mainly because then I can ask for some of these books for Christmas. Wastelands, which inspired the whole task, unfortunately sold out at Amazon when I requested it for my birthday, so despite being the first on my list it still hasn't been read. Thank goodness for imminent present giving social ceremonies.
Extending the task also means that I can read some of the books sitting on my shelf waiting for me, most notable Black Man.