June 30, 2008
Doctor Who - The Stolen Earth
Doctor Who and the WHAT?! REALLY?!
I though I had this series all figured out, there was only one big villain yet to make an appearance in Nu Who. It was so obvious. The pre-series hype was about The Sontarens, sort of leaked, made a big deal of, and clearly a smokescreen for Davros (and this was purely from the inevitable logic of who was next). Then Rose appeared, which was a big secret, so The Sontarens were actually a diversion from Rose, who was a diversion from Davros. Then it was leaked that all the companions would be returning, so Rose was a smokescreen for all of them or something, I'm getting lost now.
Big Spoiler. Don't read it if you haven't seen it.
The episode was a fairly typical RTD stunt episode. The Doctor and Donna are sidetracked, the Daleks steal the Earth, Davros comes back with his rather cool red Supreme Dalek, the whole gang get together to fight (that's Sarah Jane and Luke, Captain Jack and the remnants of Torchwood, Martha Jones and UNIT, and a stuck in the cold Rose).
The good bits:
- Daleks rampaging on Earth
- Bernard Cribbins trying (and failing with) the old paint on the Dalek eye trick. Ho ho.
- The Red Dalek.
- Davros, with new scary voice.
The cheesey bits:
- Harriet Harman the ex-Prime Minister
- Insane Dalek Caan and how the whole thing started.
- The Scooby gang via sub-ethernet web cams.
- The Shadow Proclamation. What? Who? And more importantly, why?
- The Doctor running to Rose in slow motion love scene style.
The WTF?! bits:
- The Doctor regenerating. Woah. Is that for real? If so it's the best kept secret in TV, ever (since the last one).
I can't help feeling that the next episode will not live up to expectations, however low they are. Please prove me wrong RTD.