February 8, 2008
The Times' Top 10 modern sci-fi movie clichés
The Times has their list of top 10 modern scifi movie clichés, and they combined it with YouTube links to provide a virtual movie....
- A virus has decimated the population…
- …a virus that makes people insanely strong..
- ..which can only be resolved by a sassy female Special Forces operative..
- …who’s helped by a slumming British Thesp..
- …who explains the Pop Science..
- ..which has made the whole world go a bit ‘Mad Max’..
- ..except for the chief villain..
- ..who will take the sassy lead’s gun away..
- ..and don’t forget the product placement.
I hate to be picky, well actually I don't, I enjoy it so I'm going to be. Firstly, aren't some of these tropes, not clichés? (Well, maybe just the one?) Secondly when the article says:
"A mysterious virus has wiped out one tenth of mankind’ the producer will instantly start thinking ’28 Days Later’ and a nice quiet shoot."
That's not exactly how it happened. In 28 Days Later they had to painstakingly remove people digitally and for I Am Legend they caused complete chaos by closing a chunk of downtown New York. Never underestimate filming after the apocalypse.